Join our Facebook Group to download more FREE Learning Materials

DepEd called to look into Ramon Magsaysay Awardees’ independent learning program

  • by

The Ramon Magsaysay Foundation is calling on the Department of Education (DepEd) to revisit the independent learning program developed by two of its awardees in 2010.

Photo: Facebook/Ramon Magsaysay Award

Married couple and University of the Philippines professors Dr. Christopher Bernido and Dr. Ma. Victoria Carpio Bernido won the prestigious Asia’s Premier Prize of the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 2000 for activity modules they created for 500 students in a barrio in Bohol.

The revolutionary Dynamic Learning Program (DLP), specifically crafted to hone expertise for the subjects of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) can be used without the Internet or when there is a limited number of teachers or textbooks. Using an approach called parallel learning, only 20 percent of each class is devoted to lectures while the remaining 80 percent is allotted for student-led activities. Such a design makes it a practical alternative for DepEd as it amid the technological and teacher and manpower limitations of blended or distance learning.



The DLP, which is compliant with the DepEd’s K to 12 curriculum, has also been adopted by more than 1,000 public and private schools in the Philippines, and is being reviewed for use by educational institutions in Vietnam and Singapore.


This article is brought to you by Education PH, your reliable partner for learning and success. Sa halagang P499/year, makakadownload ka na ng mga premium learning materials para sa iyong anak o estudyante.



RECOMMENDED


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *