The Department of Education (DepEd) issued DepEd Order No. 31, s. 2020 or the Interim Guidelines for Assessment and Grading in Light of the Basic Education Learning Continuity Plan. This is to provide guidance on the assessment of student learning and on the grading scheme for school year 2020-2021.
No. 031 s. 2020
1. In its commitment to ensure teaching and learning continuity while looking after the health, safety, and wellbeing of its learners, teachers, and personnel, the Department of Education (DepEd) issued DepEd Order No. 012, s. 2020 titled Adoption of the Basic Education Leaming Continuity Plan (BE-LCP) for School Year (SY) 2020- 2021 in light of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
2. To supplement the said DO, the DepEd issues the Interim Policy Guidelines for Assessment and Grading in Light of the Basic Education Leaming Continuity Plan (Enclosure No. 1) to provide guidance on the assessment of student learning and on the grading scheme to be adopted this school year.
3. As DepEd pursues learning continuity, it is imperative for schools to take stock of assessment and grading practices that will most meaningfully support learner development and respond to varied contexts at this time.
4. The policy is grounded on the following principles:
a. Assessment should be holistic and authentic in capturing the attainment of the most essential learning competencies;
b. Assessment is integral for understanding student learning and development;
c. A variety of assessment strategies is necessary, with formative assessment taking priority to inform teaching and promote growth and mastery;
d. Assessment and feedback should be a shared responsibility among teachers, learners, and their families; and
e. Assessment and grading should have a positive impact on learning.
5. This policy shall be implemented in all public elementary and secondary schools nationwide for SY 2020-2021. While DO No. 8, s. 2015 titled Policy Guidelines on Classroom Assessment for the K to 12 Basic Education Program is still in effect, provisions inconsistent with these new guidelines are suspended for this school year.
6. Private schools, technical and vocational institutions, and higher education institutions, including state and local universities and colleges offering the K to 12 Basic Education Program are encouraged to implement these interim policy guidelines as well. Private schools and institutions are permitted to modify these policy guidelines according to their philosophy, vision, and mission, with the approval of their respective DepEd regional office.
7. Additional information to help implement effective assessment practices that are in line with the principles of this policy can be found in the Classroom Assessment Resource Book (Enclosure No. 2).
8. For inquiries, please contact the Bureau of Learning Delivery, 4th Floor, Bonifacio Building, Department of Education Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City through email at [email protected] or at telephone numbers (02) 8637 -4346 and (02) 8637-4347.
9. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
READ the FULL DO No. 031 s. 2020
Download the MEMORANDUM (PDF): DO No. 31, S. 2020
Alternative link (PDF): DOWNLOAD
SIGN UP TO DEPED TAMBAYAN NEWSLETTER
Join our Facebook Community and meet with fellow educators. Share and download teaching materials. Get important updates and read inspiring stories.