Teachers are arguably one of the most important pieces in the community. They not only nurture learners and future citizens, but they contribute to nation-building as a whole.
Having the heavy responsibility of molding students into future professionals and productive individuals for the country sure is tough, and it should be taken seriously. More and more are into this noble profession now.
Despite the value that teachers have in the society, most in the profession seem to feel that they and their efforts are “underappreciated” by the government because of the “not-so-competitive” salary that they receive as compared to either the local military force or the salary of other teachers in foreign countries.
But on a positive note, the Philippine government is slowly rectifying the situation and is slowly seeing the value of its teachers.
And to compensate all their hard work and sacrifices, the government provides benefits and incentives that DepEd teachers can enjoy throughout their careers.
Here are the lists of benefits and incentives for DepEd teachers:
Yearly Benefits of DepEd Teachers
1. Clothing/Uniform Allowance – 6,000.00
2. Mid-year Bonus – One month basic salary
3. Year-end Bonus – One month basic salary
4. Cash Gift – 5,000.00
5. Productivity Enhancement Incentive (PEI) – 5,000.00/year
6. Anniversary Bonus – 3,000.00
7. Performance-Based Bonus – Ranges from 50-65% of the basic monthly salary depending on school performance
8. Proportional Vacation Pay (PVP) – 70 days PVP during summer and Christmas break for those who have rendered full services during the school year
9. Cash/Chalk Allowance – 3,500.00/year/teacher
Although, it should be noted that Senator Ralph Recto wants to push the chalk allowance up to Php 10,000 per teacher, acknowledging that 3,500 is not enough funding for the year.
Other Benefits and Incentives for DepEd Teachers
1. One step increment for every three (3) years of continuous satisfactory performance.
2. One or two (2) step increments due to meritorious performance using the Results-based Performance Management System (RPMS).
3. Loyalty Cash Incentive depending on the number of years in service (starting on the 10th year amounting to Php 10,000.00 and Php 5,000.00 after every 5 years).
4. Special Hardship allowance to teachers assigned in hardship posts (cannot be reached by regular means of transportation through hiking or banca/motorcycle rides), mobile teachers and multi-grade teachers (15- 25% of basic salary).
5. Honoraria for teaching overload subject to funds availability.
6. Leave privileges (Maternity, paternity, study leave)
7. Additional incentive/allowances from LGU (selected divisions)
8. Vacation service credits (max of 15 days per year)
9. For mobile teachers, Php 2,000 per month for transportation allowance*
10. For mobile teachers and DALCs, Php 5,000.00 per year for instructional materials*
11. In-service training
*Program Support Fund
Social Security Benefits
1. GSIS benefits
i. Retirement and Life Insurance Premiums (RLIP)
2. PhilHealth Benefits (Hospitalization, Annual Physical Examination)
3. Employees Compensation Program (ECP) benefits
Special Leave Previleges
In addition to the vacation, sick, maternity and paternity leave, officials and employees with or without existing or approved Collective Negotiation Agreement (CNA), except teachers and those covered by special leave laws, are granted the following special leave privileges subject to the conditions here under stated:
- Funeral or Mourning Leave (nearest relative)
- Hospitalization leave
- Graduation Leave (for spouse and children)
- Accident leave
- Enrollment leave
- Relocation leave
- Wedding/anniversary leave
- Government transaction leave
- Birthday leave
- Calamity leave
SIGN UP TO DEPED TAMBAYAN NEWSLETTER
Join our Facebook Community and meet with fellow educators. Share and download teaching materials. Get important updates and read inspiring stories.