While “Mass Promotion” is a talk on social media the Cordillera Administrative Region just implemented a “NO READ, NO PASS” Policy. In line with this, the Department of Education Battlecry ‘SULONG EDUKALIDAD‘ launched last December 2019. This seeks to elevate the quality of education in our country.
“We always remind ourselves that our constitutional mandate to provide every Filipino not only access to education but to basic quality education. We have realized that we are facing the reality that we still have much to do in responding to the constitutional mandate as far as quality education is concerned,” Secretary Leonor Magtolis Briones explained.
REITERATION OF THE “NO READ, NO PASS” POLICY
Schools Division Superintendents
1. The Department of Education – Cordillera Administrative Region strongly reiterates the “No Read, No Pass” policy in all public and private schools in the region. As stated in DepEd Order No. 45, s. 2002, it is expected that no pupil shall be promoted to the next higher level unless he or she manifests mastery of the basic literacy skills at a particular grade level. All possible means of assistance and encouragement shall be extended to enable the child to read.
2. One of the main thrusts of the Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013 (RA 10533) is to ensure that every child is a successful reader by Grade 1. Moreover, “Every Child A Reader Program (ECARP) is designed to equip elementary pupils with strategic reading and writing skills to make them independent under frustration level or non-readers shall be provided with necessary interventions.
4. Phil-IRI post-test shall be conducted in March 2020 to determine learners who shall be retained in the current grade level.
5. School heads shall provide the necessary support to upskill and reskill teachers in the provision of appropriate interventions and shall ensure that learners do not graduate as non-readers.
6. Schools Division Offices shall ensure continuous monitoring of the implementation of this policy in schools.
7. Strict compliance to this memorandum is desired.
MAY B. ECLAR, Ph.D., CESO V
This article is brought to you by Education PH, your reliable partner for learning and success. Sa halagang P499/year, makakadownload ka na ng mga premium learning materials para sa iyong anak o estudyante.