The Department of Education (DepEd) said Wednesday it expects a lower number of enrollees this year than last year as the coronavirus pandemic continues to disrupt the financial stability of families across the world.
The DepEd does not aim to match the 27 million enrollees for the previous school year, Education Secretary Leonor Briones said as she noted the negative impact of the health crisis on the income of many families.
“Talagang natatamaan ang education. Sinabi na yan kagabi na magne-negative growth tayo. Malaking impact yan sa mga parents na nagpapa-aral sa private schools,” Briones said.
(Education will really be affected. It was already said that we will incur a negative growth. That will have a huge impact on parents who have children studying in private schools.)
“Expected namin na hindi makuha ang 27 million,” she added, referring to enrollees.
(We expect that we won’t be able to reach 27 million.)
Data from DepEd shows that more than 16 million learners have enrolled so far for the upcoming school year.
On Tuesday, Malacañang and DepEd announced the extension of enrollment for public schools until July 15. The enrollment period was supposed to end on June 30.