No. 86, s. 2010
1. This Department is aware of the prevailing situation that there are students in the elementary and secondary levels from public and private schools who go to computer shops, malls, theaters, and the likes during their class hours while in their school uniforms. Undoubtedly, the said situation has adverse effect on the students.
2. Under the principle of “parens patriae”, which literally means parent of the country and which refers traditionally to the role of the state as sovereign and guardian of persons under a legal disability, this Department has to take the necessary steps to address the situation contemplated above. Thus, DepEd and school officials/employees concerned are hereby directed to institute/implement the necessary mechanism on school discipline applicable under said situation, and to monitor closely those students who are from or cut class on account thereof. Moreover, said school discipline to be imposed should primarily focus on guidance counseling of the student/s involved, and dialogue with his/her parents or guardian.
3. School officials are enjoined to provide their students with worthwhile and productive activities during their free time in school particularly activities that will enhance their creative and communicative skills like dramatic, debate and theatrical programs and other activities.
4. Further, it is suggested that DepEd and school officials concerned to communicate and coordinate with their respective local government officials for the possible enactment and/or implementation of the appropriate legislation under the subject situation. Said legislation may be in the form of regulating the distance of computer shops, malls, theaters, and the likes, from schools; and directive to the owners of said establishments not to allow entry of students during their respective class hours;hence, their class schedules should be checked first. Accordingly, schools should provide their students with certified copies of their respective class schedules.
5. Any violation of this Order by any DepEd or school official/employee concerned shall be strictly dealt with administratively.
6. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
SIGN UP TO DEPED TAMBAYAN NEWSLETTER
Join our Facebook Community and meet with fellow educators. Share and download teaching materials. Get important updates and read inspiring stories.